Mentor Plots Cosmetic Change
The prospective reshaping of the cosmetic-medicine sector had already created plenty of drama in recent days, but now there's a new wrinkle in what has become a four-player saga.
On Sunday, Mentor (MNT) made things a little more interesting, offering $2.2 billion for Medicis Pharmaceutical (MRX). Upon learning of the proposal, Medicis' board members immediately rejected it and reaffirmed their own desire to continue pursuing Inamed (IMDC).
Meanwhile, Inamed, Mentor's main rival in the field of breast implants, is being sought by
(AGN), whose bid Inamed's
Into the FrayBy early afternoon, shares of Mentor were down $4.89, or 8.7%, to $51.25 as some analysts said its bid was the weakest of all the proposals. More than 1.7 million shares traded, or triple the daily average for the past three months. Medicis jumped $4.34, or 15.6%, to $32.09, on nearly four times the average daily volume for the past three months. Mentor offered 0.62 shares for each Medicis share, implying a value of $34.69 a share. That's 25% higher than the Scottsdale, Ariz., company's closing price on Friday. Joshua H. Levine, Mentor's chief executive, said that even though his stock-swap offer would give Medicis shareholders a 44% stake in the combined company, he would be willing to add cash to the formula to make the proposal more palatable. He didn't offer a precise figure, saying only that the cash component could be "significant or substantial."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV