Dykstra: Around the Horn of Plenty
In three days, families across America will gather to eat turkey, watch football, and lounge around. As usual, sports -- in this case football -- occupy a central role in the holiday celebration. Traditional rivalries in high school, college and the NFL dominate the landscape in most locales.
Interestingly, the rivalry that spawned the holiday culminated in a plentiful feast that allowed the respective parties to dine together. Therein lies the message, as well as the beauty of Thanksgiving: the ability to break bread with friend and foe alike.
Characteristically, Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on what we have, and be thankful. All too often, we ruminate about what we don't have, thereby dulling our appreciation for the bounties we do possess. Hopefully, we are thankful for the opportunity to live and flourish in a country that provides us with freedoms that people in other countries cannot even contemplate. I know that I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to express my views freely and openly on a regular basis. Moreover, I am grateful to The Street.com for affording me the space each week to share my views with you.
In my opinion, Thanksgiving is coming early to all of you who follow my lead regarding the two stocks I am recommending today.
All the TrimmingsBecause of the recent energy pullback, we have an opportunity to buy one of the fastest-growing energy companies in the country at a steep discount. Frontier Oil (FTO) is an independent oil refining and marketing company that just announced the most profitable quarter in company history. The company's balance sheet is nothing short of miraculous with total cash of over $285 million, over $5 per share, and a debt-to-equity ratio around 0.3. In addition, it has a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 8.14, a staggering 59.03% return on equity, and posted free cash flow of almost $150 million in the past 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV