Asthma Drugs Educe FDA Worry
LABA drugs shouldn't be the first line of defense vs. asthma, the FDA says. Instead, they should be "added to the asthma treatment plan only if other medicines do not control asthma, including the use of low-or-medium dose corticosteroids."
But GlaxoSmithKline says the combination of LABA and inhaled corticosteroid drugs is an effective first-line treatment. The FDA's proposal would limit an asthma sufferer's choices "until after a patient has failed on other treatment options and therefore may be at risk for severe outcomes, such as exacerbations and potentially death," said Dr. Kathy Rickard, a respiratory medicine executive for GlaxoSmithKline, in a prepared statement.
"Sufficient safety information about these medicines is already in the labels to help guide physicians about their appropriate use," Rickard said. "However, we will work with FDA to address the differences of opinion about how best to communicate the benefit-risk profile of these medicines for optimal patient care."
Serevent's safety has been questioned by well-known drug industry critics -- Public Citizen and Dr. David J. Graham, a veteran FDA researcher. Graham told senators during a hearing last year on Merck's (MRK) now-wthidrawn arthritis drug Vioxx that several other marketed drugs needed more scrutiny or tougher labels. Serevent was one of those drugs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV