Asthma Drugs Educe FDA Worry
LABA drugs shouldn't be the first line of defense vs. asthma, the FDA says. Instead, they should be "added to the asthma treatment plan only if other medicines do not control asthma, including the use of low-or-medium dose corticosteroids."
But GlaxoSmithKline says the combination of LABA and inhaled corticosteroid drugs is an effective first-line treatment. The FDA's proposal would limit an asthma sufferer's choices "until after a patient has failed on other treatment options and therefore may be at risk for severe outcomes, such as exacerbations and potentially death," said Dr. Kathy Rickard, a respiratory medicine executive for GlaxoSmithKline, in a prepared statement.
"Sufficient safety information about these medicines is already in the labels to help guide physicians about their appropriate use," Rickard said. "However, we will work with FDA to address the differences of opinion about how best to communicate the benefit-risk profile of these medicines for optimal patient care."
Serevent's safety has been questioned by well-known drug industry critics -- Public Citizen and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV