Asthma Drugs Educe FDA Worry
The Food and Drug Administration on Friday issued a public health advisory about potentially fatal side effects from two GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) asthma drugs. The company vigorously disputed the FDA's analysis.
The agency is asking the maker of the drugs, Advair Diskus and Serevent Diskus, to add warnings to their labels that these medications "may increase the chance of severe asthma episodes, and death when those episodes occur."
Advair is GlaxoSmithKline's biggest product, with $4 billion in sales during the first nine months of 2005. Serevent's sales were $450 million. By late afternoon, the company's stock was down $2.20, or 4.2%, to $49.85 on trading that was more than triple the average daily trade for the past three months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV