Medicis CEO Keeps His Wits
He also left no doubt that Inamed's skin-care business was the biggest attraction for Medicis. The key to the Medicis bid is the experimental skin treatment, Reloxin, which is similar to Allergan's Botox. When Allergan made its offer for Inamed, it also said it would divest its rights to Reloxin to avoid antitrust concerns. Inamed licenses Reloxin from the French company Ipsen.
On Friday, when one analyst asked if Medicis would pursue Reloxin if the Medicis-Inamed deal falls through, Shacknai called Reloxin the "threshhold event" in its romance of Inamed. If Medicis wasn't convinced that Reloxin could be a star product, Medicis wouldn't have made a bid for Inamed, Shacknai said.
He also made it clear that Inamed's skin-care business was more of a lure than its breast-implant business. Inamed is dueling with Mentor (MNT) to get government approval to use silicone breast implants for cosmetic surgery.
Right now, silicone implants are restricted to a few uses, such as breast reconstruction for women who have undergone mastectomies. Mentor and Inamed sell silicone gel implants in foreign markets for cosmetic surgery. They also sell saline-filled implants in U.S. and foreign markets for cosmetic purposes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV