Disney Wants Quarter Forgotten
Disney also touted its ability to capitalize on new technology, citing a recent agreement with Apple (AAPL) to provide video content for the iPod.
"As a modern media company Disney is well positioned to take advantage of these changes by continuing to develop strong content and leverage that content across our businesses and new technologies. Our agreement with Apple to make programming available on the iPod is a fitting example of our efforts in that regard. As the media landscape continues to change, our creative excellence and consumer focus will enable us to continue delivering benefits to shareholders."
But some of the company's new initiatives will be a drain on the company in the near term, officials warned. Specifically, Disney is investing heavily in both developing video games and in a new wireless phone service. The company expects to lose $130 million, for instance, on its new mobile phone service next year, Staggs said. And because the company will initially lose money on each customer it signs up for the service, its losses in the wireless area will widen the more successful it is at acquiring users.
Company officials had little to say about Disney's relationship with
(PIXR), the film studio headed by Steve Jobs that has produced a number of hit films distributed by Disney. Jobs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV