Nortel Fans Want Fine Print
Just two days on the job, and already Nortel (NT) CEO Mike Zafirovski has created a stir with investors.
Speaking at the UBS Global Communications Conference in New York on Thursday, Nortel CFO Peter Currie fielded repeated questions on how the company plans to widen profit margins to hit the new boss' somewhat lofty goals.
Zafirovski, the former Motorola (MOT) executive, took his corner office at Nortel on Tuesday. But last month, after accepting the job, the hard-charging new chief introduced himself to investors and employees by outlining six of the company's top weak points and a brief plan of attack for each area.
Among his targets, Zafirovski served up the usual business-revamping fare such as stronger strategic focus and streamlined processes. He also said Nortel should be far more profitable. In fact, Zafirovski wants operating margins somewhere in the range of 14% to 18%, a huge leap from the single-digit percentages the company currently captures.Dubious investors at the UBS show wanted to know exactly what tricks Nortel could pull out of its big Canadian hat that might yield these kinds of profit gains. Currie pointed to a few areas such as planned cuts in research and development. Last month, Zafirovski said that R&D was nearly 17% of total sales and considerably higher than the 10%-to-11% range more common to the industry. "We have costs to cut," said Currie, who was rehired as Nortel's finance chief early this year after a sweeping housecleaning effort to remove the former bookkeeping team in the wake of "
Zafirovski on the Margins
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV