RIM Rivals Gear Up
To date, RIM has dominated the industry, both in software and hardware. But the competition seems to have stepped up in recent months with a string of moves by its rivals.
In September, for instance, Nokia debuted a new wireless email service targeted at business customers. Microsoft recently rolled out an update to its popular Exchange email server that allows the software to "push" email to customers' wireless devices. And in September, Palm, maker of the trendy Treo smartphone, announced a new version of the device that will run Microsoft's mobile operating system and tie into software giant's email service.
RIM, however, hasn't been sitting still. The company has moved to blunt the competitive threat in part by promoting its growing ties with other handset makers. Last month, for instance, it
But the problem for RIM in the marketplace is that its dominance may be challenged by a closing technology gap, says Schamens, who says he doubts that Intellisync's technology is the future, but that one of RIM's competitors clearly is."I think somebody is going to come out with a better mousetrap, and it will work just as well as RIM's," he says. "With the way technology moves
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV