The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
|Agarn and O'Rourke Online
With commercials, too!
4. Ad InfinitumAmerica Online bounced back in a big way this week.
Just days after the Time Warner (TWX) unit suffered a
Viewers everywhere wept tears of joy as AOL and corporate sibling Warner Bros. unveiled plans to team up on
Monday's announcement was enough to soothe the pain AOL was surely feeling only last Thursday, when Net giant Yahoo! (YHOO) bowed out of Time Warner's slow-motion auction of a stake in AOL. Time Warner has by now fielded feelers from Microsoft (MSFT), Google (GOOG) and Comcast (CMCSA) as big players jockey for position with Internet advertisers.
Of course, all the big communications players are talking a big game nowadays about on-demand video. But at Time Warner, "we are enabling Web users to experience and interact with television programming in an entirely new way," said Kevin Conroy, executive vice president, AOL Media Networks. "Visitors will be able to program their own personal network, making it a TV lover's dream come true," added Eric Frankel, president, Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution.
A network of nothing but 20-year-old Spenser for Hire reruns? Well, that is a dream come true.Dumb-o-Meter score: 80. Next up on our wishlist for AOL: a partnership with Telkonet (TKO), the broadband outfit that recently
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV