The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
|Oh No, Sony
Spyware bugs people
1. DelugeMusic buyers got hosed this week by Sony BMG.
The joint venture of Japan's Sony (SNE) and Germany's Bertelsmann soaked its loyal customers by sneaking some anticopying software onto music compact discs.
The software was aimed at bolstering sales by preventing CD-copying on Windows-based personal computers, but it didn't end up working quite that way. Rather than protecting the precious intellectual property of Celine Dion, the so-called Extended Copy Protection program ended up spurring an anti-Sony rebellion.
Sony BMG came under fire from all sides after alert techies revealed that the software could expose computers to virus attacks. Irate CD buyers called for a boycott. Media reports raised the specter of spyware infestation. Computer security outfits, led by Microsoft (MSFT), rushed to neutralize the threat.
Sony BMG rallied, distributing a patch that fixed the virus vulnerability. It also discontinued its use of the software and recalled the discs. "We stand by content protection technology as an important tool to protect our intellectual property rights and those of our artists," the company said in a statement on its Web site. Even so, "we deeply regret any possible inconvenience this may cause."
On the plus side, the fiasco might give embattled Sony BMG chief Andrew Lack the inside track on a plush new office in Redmond, Wash. After all, how often does Microsoft come out of a software mishap looking this good?Dumb-o-Meter score: 91. Sony BMG doesn't mind playing the heavy, that's for sure. To view Colin Barr's humorous video take on Sony's spyware, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV