Capital Markets ETF Offers Diversity
Dovetailing Nicely With Diversification Goals
The capital markets ETF could easily fit into a diversified portfolio as part of the financial sector allocation.
After the most recent run-up in the group, financials now comprise 21% of the S&P 500 index, so an investor wanting to maintain an equal weighting vs. the S&P 500 without much single-stock risk might have 18% in a broad-based financial ETF like Financial Select Sector SPDR (XLF) and 3% in KCE. That might not seem like much exposure on its face, but with 13.6% of XLF invested in capital markets stocks, the overlap is actually 5.4% to this higher-octane part of the sector.
Also, the financial sector is a good place to add foreign exposure in both developed and emerging markets. For instance, an investor can put 16% in XLF, 3% in KCE and the remaining 2% in something like iShares Singapore (EWS), which has a 35% weight in the bank sector and a 3.6% yield, or a common stock like Banco de Chile (BCH), which has a 6% yield, and would give exposure to a relatively stable Latin American economy.Either combination gives broad diversification within the sector, a chance to outperform the sector and not much in the way of single-stock risk.
Subsectors Carry RisksAs mentioned earlier, financials have a 21% weight in the S&P 500, and it has been around 20% for a while. Historically, growth beyond 20% has led to nasty declines. For example, technology in 2000 and energy in the early 1980s each grew to about 30% of the index, prior to disastrous drops. Flat yield curves make lending money less profitable. The yield curve has been getting flatter and if inverted would make lending a losing proposition. This creates an obvious headwind for the banks.
|Banks Beat Brokers on Flat Curve
|Source: Roger Nusbaum|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV