Tech Stocks in Motion
Intraware said that Digital River paid $6 million for the stake. "The investment is the first step in what the companies plan will be a broader strategic relationship, including integrated service offerings and the nomination of a designee of Digital River to Intraware's board of directors," Intraware said in a statement. Digital River bought a new class of preferred stock, which is convertible into one million common shares. Intraware plans to use proceeds from the investment for general corporate purposes. Shares of Intraware recently were trading up 65 cents to $5.05. Digital River shares gained 42 cents, or 1.7%, to $24.71.
Agilent Technologies (A) rose 5% after the company posted fourth-quarter results that topped forecasts. The maker of test and measurement equipment earned $26 million, or 5 cents a share. Excluding items, the company would have earned $193 million, or 38 cents a share. Agilent posted sales of $1.41 billion, but if the company had included its semiconductor products business -- which it agreed to sell during the fourth quarter -- sales would have been $1.9 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected earnings of 37 cents a share and sales of $1.85 billion. Last year's adjusted earnings were $153 million, or 30 cents a share, on sales of $1.82 billion, including sales from the semiconductor products business.
For the first quarter, Agilent sees earnings of 25 cents to 30 cents a share, in line with analysts' expectations of 28 cents a share.Separately, Agilent laid out plans to buy up to $2.7 billion in stock through a modified "Dutch auction" tender offer. Agilent will buy up to 73 million shares at prices ranging from at least $32 a share to no more than $37 a share. The shares recently were up $1.71 to $34.61.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV