Early Stocks in Motion
Big 5 Sporting Goods' (BGFV) third-quarter net income fell to $7.2 million, or 32 cents a share, from $8.5 million, or 37 cents a share, a year ago. The results included charges of about 5 cents a share related to a restatement. Revenue increased to $206.8 million from $198 million last year. According to First Call, analysts expected a profit of 37 cents a share and revenue of $211.6 million. For the fourth quarter, Big 5 expects to earn 40 cents to 44 cents a share on low- to mid-single-digit same-store sales growth. The forecast is below First Call's projection of 54 cents a share. The stock was down 94 cents, or 4.4%, to $20.45 in after-hours trading.
Pacific Sunwear's (PSUN) third-quarter earnings rose to $40.5 million, or 54 cents a share, from $33.7 million, or 44 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenue for the quarter rose 13.6% to $377.5 million from $332.4 million last year. Same-store sales increased 4.6%. The results were in line with analysts' forecasts for earnings of 54 cents a share and sales of $375.7 million.
"Our 20% increase in net income reflects both an improving comp store sales trend and an increase in gross margin," said Seth Johnson, chief executive officer. For the fourth quarter, the teen-apparel retailer forecasts earnings of 62 cents to 63 cents a share, in line with Wall Street expectations. The stock was down 31 cents, or 1.1%, to $27.32 in after-hours trading.
IDT (IDT) said one of its units made a tender offer to purchase all of the remaining outstanding shares of Net2Phone (NTOP) it doesn't already own for $2 a share. The tender offer will expire on Dec. 12. IDT already owns 40.19% of Net2Phone's outstanding shares. Shares of IDT rose 5 cents to $11.78, while Net2Phone jumped 35 cents, or 24%, to $1.83, in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV