'RealMoney' Radio Recap: Putting Oil on Hold
Jim Cramer's short-term outlook for oil stocks is bearish, but in the long term, he's bullish, he said Thursday on his "RealMoney" radio show.
Cramer believes the price of oil is headed to $50 a barrel from Thursday afternoon's price of about $57.80. Cramer said Europe has flooded the U.S. with crude and heating oil following hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Additionally, temperatures have remained relatively warm in the East, and production and refining capacity in the Gulf of Mexico is coming back online, he said.
Also, the political climate is such that it will be difficult for oil companies to raise dividends or implement buybacks, Cramer said.Long term, however, we aren't finding enough oil to meet demand, said Cramer. He believes oil will be in short supply for eight or nine years until alternatives are developed enough to become viable. Cramer has pared back his oil stocks and plans to hold until oil goes lower. Then he will consider buying again. For now, though, it's too dangerous to buy even for a bounce, he said.
Stump CramerIn his weekly "Stump Cramer" segment, where listeners try to trip up Cramer with stocks they think he hasn't heard of, Cramer was stumped by Landec (LNDC), MainSource Financial (MSFG), Prana Biotechnology (PRAN), Anadys Pharmaceuticals (ANDS) and HMS Holding (HMSY). Cramer has casual knowledge of Neoware Systems (NWRE), he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV