Yahoo! Drops AOL Bid
The Internet giant decided not to pursue buying a stake in AOL after finding Time Warner's proposed terms unacceptable, according to reports in The Wall Street Journal and Reuters. Earlier reports suggested that Time Warner had rebuffed Yahoo! in a bid for a part of AOL's programming arm that valued the operation at $10 billion.
The news comes just a month after Yahoo! joined the bidding for AOL in a development
Google (GOOG), the top search engine, and Microsoft (MSFT), the largest software company, are now seen as front-runners for part of AOL, people familiar with the situation told the Journal. The newspaper also reported that Time Warner may make a decision as early as next week about which company with which it will enter exclusive negotiations.Any potential AOL-Microsoft partnership may face antitrust issues and a deal with Google could include cable giant Comcast (CMCSA), the newspaper said. Yahoo!, which is based in Mountain View, Calif., couldn't immediately be reached before the start of regular business hours. Time Warner spokesman Edward Adler declined to comment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV