Pairing Up for Profit
To keep the dollar amount invested in the pair, one would buy at least three Gateway calls for every one Dell put purchased. The position makes money if the price spread between the two stocks converges over the next 14 months. The maximum loss is equal to the total cost of purchase of both the puts and calls.
Another possible pair involves going long the International Securities Exchange (ISE) and short the Chicago Mercantile (CME). The ISE is the leading options exchange, and with option volume growing at nearly 50% year over year, faster than any other trading product, the ISE's revenue and profit growth should outpace that of the CME in the coming year. The ISE shares are trading around $28, while the CME is around $388 per share. So in this case, one would purchase ISE calls and CME puts on approximately a 13-to-1 ratio.
Remember, paired trades require one to be right on two stocks, not just one, but options can expand the range in which you can be wrong and still make money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV