Apollo Group Buying Linens 'n Things
Linens 'n Things (LIN) agreed to be taken over by an Apollo Management-led group for $28 a share.
The all-cash bid is worth $1.3 billion and offers Linens 'n Things shareholders a 5% premium to Monday's closing stock price. Apollo has a financing commitment from UBS and Bear Stearns.
The news comes at the end of a rough period for the Clifton, N.J., home furnishings retailer. The company said in September it would post a break-even third quarter, a sharp disappointment for a company expected by Wall Street to make 29 cents a share for the period. Linens 'n Things said same-store sales would drop 10% for the quarter. The company at that point hired Credit Suisse First Boston to shop it around.
"This transaction with Apollo achieves the completion of our strategic review process," said CEO Norman Axelrod. "Apollo is investing in our concept, our company and our future, which will lead to additional new opportunities for all our associates and our business partners."The merger should close in the first or early second quarter of 2006. The debt financing is subject to various conditions, including Linens 'n Things achieving earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of at least $140 million for fiscal 2005 and a same-store sales loss of 6% or less. Linens closed Monday at $26.40.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV