Amazon Selling Books by the Page
The problem for Google is that some publishers and authors are balking at the Mountain View, Calif., company's plans to scan more modern books on the Internet. Earlier this month, the Association of American Publishers sued, claming the company's plan violates copyright law. Another lawsuit by the Authors Guild makes similar allegations. Google denies that Google Print violates copyright law.
In a press release, Google said it supported the plans by Amazon and Random House, saying they were complimentary to Google Print and illustrate the need to make information more acsessable.
"Amazon is a valuable partner and we link to Amazon so people can buy books they've found with Google Print," Google said. The company is considering adopting a sales strategy similar to what Amazon's, the company said.
Amazon's statement doesn't provide a listing of its publishing partners or mention when the service is going to be available. The Association of American Publishers and the Authors Guild said they had no objections to the plan."Amazon seems to be going about the right way by respecting the rights of authors and publishers," said Judy Platt, spokesman for the Association of American Publishers, in an interview. Finding new sources of revenue for publishers will also benefit authors, said Paul Aiken, executive director of the Authors Guild. "If there is a new way to get some value out of some books, than the authors will be able to share in that value in some way," he said. Shares of Google, the top search engine company, rose $4.82 to $384.50. Amazon rose 52 cents to $41.27.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV