Amazon Selling Books by the Page
"Books will be available for full indexing, search and display," Random House said. "No downloading, printing or copying will be permitted."
A "publisher-determined free sample" of page views of as much as 5% of a book's length will be permitted, Random House said. Random House will receive 4 cents per page from vendors, who will determine pricing beyond the initial part of the book.
No timetable has been set for Random House's initiative, said Stuart Applebaum, a company spokesman.
Random House may participate in the Amazon program "if we can come to terms," he said, adding that the two companies had a good relationship.Other publishers likely will follow Random House's lead, said Jim Milliot, business and news editor at Publishers Weekly, a trade publication. "It's broad enough to allow a lot of flexibility," he said. The announcement from Amazon and Random House comes the same day that Google (GOOG) began allowing people to search through out-of-print books and other materials from some of the top libraries in the country through its controversial Google Print book digitization initiative. People can now search on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV