Google's Special Relativity
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. And while the backlash that has greeted Google's (GOOG) sentimental approach to business overshoots Newtonian rationality, it might have been avoided altogether had the company better grasped its own expanding universe.
Google has begun to emerge in the technology press recently as a successor to IBM (IBM) and Microsoft (MSFT), an industry-dominating bully that's shaping -- and maybe squashing -- the next decade or so, at least, of innovation.
This is misleading. Google isn't exactly squashing innovation, as nearly everyone will admit Microsoft did during its glory years (everyone but Microsoft, that is). So far, Google has spurred innovation, forcing its competitors to stay nimble to match or beat its every new feature -- witness Yahoo! (YHOO) and Microsoft's work on video and book searches -- and helping the more ingenious content creators push their own creativity to the fore of the Web.
In moving from the Age of Microsoft to the Age of Google, the creation of technology has changed dramatically -- and in a way many investors don't quite grasp. If information technology in the 1980s and 1990s resembled a herd of sheep mindlessly controlled by a few quick and intelligent dogs, the industry today -- in particular the evolution of the Web -- resembles a Tour de France race where cyclists are racing to surpass a quick and intelligent leader.Nor is Google proprietary about its technology. And there's plenty of evidence for this. It has opted for open formats,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV