Restrained Rally Slowly Emerging
To anticipate trading over shorter periods, I rely on both the market's internal quantitative data as well as other technical signals. These have been modestly encouraging, with only a few exceptions -- including weak market breadth, which Helene Meisler has examined in detail.
This buying juncture is not ideal. Although it hasn't fully gelled yet, I am becoming increasingly more comfortable shifting toward a bullish posture, for however brief a time period that may be.
I would become even more aggressive if not for several fundamental factors that counterbalance these quantitative improvements. These include more restrictive monetary policy and increasing fiscal budgetary pressures, which suggests a rising likelihood of either higher taxes or less deficit spending, or both.
Despite this not-quite-perfect floor, most of the elements are slowly coming together to support at least a modest year-end rally. My analysis suggests that traders and index buyers can get long over the next few weeks, with a projected top in mid-December.What's the basis for this? My key positive factors include:
|Going to Extremes
The spike in Nasdaq 52-week lows has reached levels that in the past have been good buying junctures.
|Click here for larger image.|
|Source: Redwood Technimentals|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV