Exubera Getting More Review
Pfizer (PFE) said Friday that the Food and Drug Administration will need an extra three months to review its application for the inhaled insulin Exubera.
No explanation was given by Pfizer or its marketing partner Sanofi-Aventis (SNY).
The agency needs more time to review "additional technical chemistry data" from the companies. Pfizer and Sanofi-Aventis said they will "continue to work closely with the FDA so that this important medicine can be made available for patients."
Exubera is one of several inhaled insulin products in development, and it's far ahead of competitors in the regulatory review process. The FDA had been expected to act today.Shares of both companies weren't affected. Pfizer's stock was up 16 cents to $21.26, while Sanofi-Aventis' stock was up 1 cent to $39.54. However, shares of Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR), the company that developed the inhalation technology, dropped 45 cents, or 3.1%, to $14.31 in heavy trading. The stock dipped as low as $13.63. "This appears to be a minor delay, with approval likely delayed to the end of January 2006," according to a research note from Sagient Research Systems of San Diego, whose BioMedTracker report analyzes biotechnology issues. "We continue to believe that the FDA will accept the advisory committee recommendations to approve Exubera for patients without underlying lung abnormalities." Last month, an FDA advisory committee
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV