Putting Some Chips Back on the Table
I use a formal low-P/E investment discipline that permits buying stocks only in companies that are down and cheap. When the buy list is laden with undervalued stocks in average companies that have suffered meaningful declines, I build up the long side of my book. When the list is meager, I tend to take profits.
In July, the list was skimpy, and I reduced equity exposure. However, today it's replete with good companies at low valuations. Therefore, I am buying. In the investment business we call this a "bottoms-up" process.
I am not a rip-snorting bull. Large fundamental issues concern me enough that I avoid any significant margined long position. Interest rates continue to rise, real estate is tapering, cost pressures continue to increase, and consumption (and hence economic activity) appears due for a rest. And stock market valuations in general, while much better than at the beginning of this year, are hardly cheap.But I simply cannot ignore what my new purchase list is suggesting. And that is to add stocks to my portfolio. Which stocks? Some of the old favorites have pulled back enough to become excellent values, ConocoPhillips (COP) for example. At Thursday's close of $60.90, the shares trade for about 6 times this year's earnings, with excellent exposure to higher commodity prices and refining margins. While the company may be 10 times "normal" profits (if we ever get "normal" oil/gas prices correct again), that's still way too cheap in a 16 P/E market! I believe the stock is discounting oil in the $35-$38 range. Conoco is still one of the best growth stories in the sector when comparing its strong revenue/profit growth with its compelling valuation. My price target is at least 30% higher. If I could own only one oil stock...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV