Google Leads Long-Term Buys
This column was originally published on RealMoney on Oct. 27 at 8:31 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
It's ironic that although much of my focus is on the short term, my
In case you missed that column, I'll summarize it here.
Naturally, I put the fundamentals aside.I opted instead to review a thing of charting beauty: Exxon Mobil's 20 years of almost uninterrupted growth. And being a well-reasoned trader, I offered an exit strategy too. "Sell, of course, when we stop driving cars."
Based on the response to that column, I'm offering a special Chartman today. I will profile four more stocks I believe should be part of any long-term portfolio. Today, charts for: Google (GOOG), S&P Depositary Receipts (SPY), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), and Starbucks (SBUX).
Charts produced by TC2000, which is a registered trademark of
And that is the final word from Mountain View, Calif., where I'm guessing it won't be too long before the Google witch-hunt begins. Forget the benefits of free WiFi, a virtual Library of Congress and the greatest search engine ever. Instead, you'll hear the usual cries of "monopoly," "too powerful," "too greedy" and "bug-ridden." Eventually, some congressman will be authoring a windfall tax bill directed specifically at the company. Of course, the Justice Department will be looking to break it up anyway, and the EU will pretty much have outlawed its existence! P.S. from TheStreet.com Editor-in-Chief, Dave Morrow:
It's always been my opinion that it pays to have more -- not fewer -- expert market views and analyses when you're making investing or trading decisions. That's why I recommend you take advantage of our free trial offer to TheStreet.com RealMoney premium Web site, where you'll get in-depth commentary and money-making strategies from over 50 Wall Street pros, including Jim Cramer. Take my advice -- try it now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV