Franklin Resources Assets Surge
Mutual fund company Franklin Resources (BEN) reported a 78% jump in its fourth-quarter profit on a sharp rise in assets under management.
The San-Mateo, Calif.-based company, which operates as Franklin Templeton Investments, said net income for the quarter ended Sept. 30 was $334.5 million, or $1.28 a share, on revenue of $1.16 billion. The earnings beat Thomson First Call's mean analyst estimate of $1.02 a share. A year earlier, Franklin earned $187.7 million, or 73 cents a share, on revenue of $881.7 million.
Franklin said assets under management were $453.1 billion at Sept. 30, up from $425.4 billion at June 30 and $361.9 billion at the same time a year ago. Simple monthly average assets under management were $440.5 billion in the fourth quarter, compared to $416.0 billion in the preceding quarter and $353.3 billion in the same quarter a year ago.
Equity assets increased to 58% of total assets under management, compared with 57% for the previous quarter and 55% for the same time last year, the company said. Fixed-income assets comprised 23% of total assets under management, compared with 24% for the previous quarter and 27% for the same time last year. Hybrid assets accounted for 17% of total assets under management at Sept. 30, consistent with the last quarter and above 16% at the same time last year.In terms of fundflows, Franklin's sales exceeded redemptions by $8 billion for the fourth quarter, up from $7.7 billion for the prior quarter and $6.6 billion for the comparable quarter a year ago. Shares of Franklin Resources recently traded at $91.75, up $4.03, or 4.6%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV