Taking a Fresh Look at Homebuilders
This column was originally published on RealMoney on Oct. 25 at 8:37 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
About a month ago, I devoted a column to an in-depth look at how far the homebuilder stocks could fall.
Homebuilder longs thought I was bashing the group, but rather, I was just looking at the worst possible scenario.
Frankly, I haven't heard much from that group since, as the continuing decline caused the critics to go into hibernation.Too bad, as some of the stocks are starting to look attractive. Therefore, a follow-up is in order, so today I'm going to take a look at Toll Brothers (TOL), Beazer Homes (BZH), Pulte Homes (PHM), Hovnanian (HOV) and KB Homes (KBH). The first chart will be from Sept. 28, when I did my worst-case analysis, and the second chart is the current one. It's fairly interesting (chart) reading.
And that is the final word from the Federal Reserve, where all this talk about Bernanke is amazing. Was there any discussion when Greenspan came aboard? P.S. from TheStreet.com Editor-in-Chief, Dave Morrow:
It's always been my opinion that it pays to have more -- not fewer -- expert market views and analyses when you're making investing or trading decisions. That's why I recommend you take advantage of our free trial offer to TheStreet.com RealMoney premium Web site, where you'll get in-depth commentary and money-making strategies from over 50 Wall Street pros, including Jim Cramer. Take my advice -- try it now.
Charts produced by TC2000, which is a registered trademark of Worden Brothers Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV