Health Stocks in Motion
For 2005, Henry Schein forecast earnings of $1.75 to $1.77 a share. Analysts had expected earnings of $1.85 a share. Shares recently fell $1.19 to $40.82.
Sepracor (SEPR) rose 4% after the pharmaceutical company reported a narrower-than-expected third-quarter loss on a sharp rise in sales. The company posted a loss of $2.2 million, or 2 cents a share, compared with $130.4 million, or $1.40 a share, a year earlier. Results included a one-time gain of $18.3 million, or 17 cents a share. Analysts were expecting a loss of 60 cents a share. Sales jumped to $205.7 million from $80.1 million, well above analysts' forecast of $166 million. Sepracor shares were trading up $2.44 to $56.86.
Shares of Nature's Sunshine (NATR) fell 8% after the vitamin maker posted third-quarter earnings that fell short of forecasts. The company earned $4.3 million, or 28 cents a share, missing analysts' expectation of 34 cents a share. Sales, which came in at $87.7 million, were slightly shy of Wall Street's prediction of $87.4 million. A year earlier, the company earned $4.6 million, or 29 cents a share, on sales of $84.5 million.
Sales at the company's Synergy Worldwide unit declined 16% to $20.4 million, contributing to the weaker-than-expected results. Nature's Sunshine sales in the U.S. grew 10.5% to $37.3 million. Shares were down $1.73 to $18.87.Other health care volume movers included Pfizer (PFE), up 4 cents to $21.13; Novavax (NVAX), up 48 cents to $4.63; Amgen (AMGN), up 31 cents to $75.62; Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), down 63 cents to $63.47; Merck (MRK), down 14 cents to $26.86; Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), up 14 cents to $21.78; and BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX), up 16 cents to $15.39.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV