Dykstra: Bold's Beautiful
And then there were two. The Chicago White Sox, 46 years removed from their last World Series appearance, and fresh off their first playoff victories since 1917, will meet the Houston Astros. Formerly the Houston Colt 45s, the Astros waited 45 (minus one) years to make their maiden voyage to the World Series. Clearly, these two franchises embody the idea of "being in it for the long run."
The pitching, which was supposed to dominate, has been as shaky as this stock market, but it is early. Both clubs have tremendous starting pitching, complemented with outstanding bullpens. As always, there are many interesting story lines, but more about that below.
First, here are my picks for the week.
World Series Champ!
Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) is a leading oil and gas producer, engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, exploitation, production and marketing of properties primarily in North America, with an expansion effort beyond West Canada. It has substantial interests in the Gulf Coast, including Texas and Louisiana, the Rocky Mountains and Mid-Continent.During the third quarter, in the East alone, Cabot participated in 10 wells, with nine being successful. Additionally, Cabot has five rigs currently drilling. Production grew 10% for the nine months of 2005 vs. the first nine months of 2004. In a mid-October update, Chairman and CEO Dan Dinges had this to say about Cabot's outlook: "In each of our regions, we have new and exciting opportunities that are consistent with our strategic direction. Our drilling, acquisitions, and leasing efforts are focused on building an asset profile that balances our reserve and production portfolios." It gets better, as Dinges went on to say: "With a larger program planned to exploit our 1 million acres for next year, some R&D opportunities in front of us, we anticipate greater expansion in Cabot's reserves and production."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV