Google Wears the Garlands
Thursday's late surge stood in stark contrast to the reaction Google garnered in July with its second-quarter report, which spooked Wall Street with talk of a seasonal slowdown in the fall. Google's late advance put it back above $320 for the first time in a month.
"Clearly, in hindsight it looks like it was a boilerplate cautionary statement that they were making," Chervitz said, referring to July's seasonality comment. "It makes sense that some investors and analysts were wondering how serious to take the statement."
Earlier this week, archrival Yahoo! beat analysts' third-quarter profit expectations and reaffirmed its fourth-quarter guidance. But eBay (EBAY) shares tumbled Thursday after investors turned on the world's largest Internet auction site over its weaker-than-expected guidance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV