Foreign Stocks Lose Flair
The world is rapidly turning flat for U.S. investors seeking outsized returns from foreign stocks.
Since Sept. 30, Latin American stocks, as measured by the iShares S&P Latin America 40 (ILF) exchange traded fund, are down close to 11%, while the iShares MSCI Pacific ex-Japan (EPP) ETF has dropped more than 7%.
Not to be completely outdone, the iShares S&P Europe 350 (IEV) has sunk close to 5%. And, after rallying for much of the summer on the heels of successful political reform, the iShares MSCI Japan (EWJ) has stumbled over 4.5%.
By comparison, the U.S.-based SPDR (SPY), which tracks the S&P 500, is only down 3% in October. And that's in spite of market conditions choppy enough to make even the steeliest trader seasick.All this talk of poor performance is, of course, relatively speaking. Foreign stocks are still thoroughly thrashing U.S. stocks, which are down just over 2% so far this year. Latin American stocks, for example, are up 33% and both the Japanese and Asia ex-Japan ETFs are still up over 6% for the year. But since foreign problems often wash onto American shores with great fanfare and at an even greater cost to investors -- remember the Russian currency and Latin debt crises? -- the recent pullback in non-U.S. shares may be signaling domestic investors that its time to bring their greenbacks back home. "The exuberance of American investors for foreign stocks is coming to an end," says Charles Biderman, president of fund-flow tracker TrimTabs. Biderman started seeing the bulk of U.S. dollars flow into international funds last December when Americans grew jittery over a weakening dollar and a shaky U.S. economy. He says many investors took their cues from famed value investor Warren Buffett after he made negative comments on the U.S. economy and placed big bets against the U.S. dollar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV