Stocks in Motion: MoneyGram
Shares of MoneyGram International (MGI) were among the NYSE's winners Thursday, rising 7% after the money-transfer company posted third-quarter results that were better than Wall Street's expectations.
The company earned $29.5 million, or 34 cents a share, on revenue of $246.4 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 26 cents a share on revenue of $236.9 million. MoneyGram posted net revenue -- total revenue minus total commissions -- of $126.6 million. A year earlier, the company earned $24.5 million, or 28 cents a share, on revenue of $216.2 million. Net revenue was $111.8 million a year ago.
Looking ahead, MoneyGram forecast fourth-quarter earnings of 27 cents to 30 cents a share, in line with analysts' expectation for earnings of 28 cents a share. The company now expects full-year earnings of $1.22 to $1.25 a share, up from its previous guidance of $1.11 to $1.15 a share. MoneyGram also boosted its net revenue forecast to $490 million to $500 million from $465 million to $485 million. Analysts had projected earnings of $1.16 a share. Shares were trading up $1.50 to $22.81.
RARE Hospitality (RARE) rose 7% after the restaurant company posted third-quarter results ahead of expectations. The company earned $9.7 million, or 28 cents a share, on sales of $225.4 million. Analysts had predicted earnings of 27 cents a share on sales of $225 million. A year earlier, the company earned $8.5 million, or 24 cents a share, on sales of $194.6 million.RARE Hospitality forecast fourth-quarter earnings of 41 cents to 44 cents a share, bracketing analysts' mean estimate of 42 cents a share. For the first quarter of 2006, the company sees earnings of 53 cents to 55 cents a share. Analysts forecast earnings of 52 cents a share. Shares were up $1.83 to $29.16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV