Pfizer Takes a Flogging
"Revenues in the third quarter of 2005 reflected lower prescription growth and increased competition in key therapeutic markets in the U.S., such as the lipid-lowering market, where the rate of growth in the third quarter declined significantly versus the first half of the year; and the erectile-dysfunction market, which has been in decline compared to 2004," Pfizer said. "The effects of these considerations are expected to temper fourth-quarter revenues as well."
Pfizer doesn't know if the lower prescription growth is a temporary or chronic condition, said Hank McKinnell, chairman and chief executive, in a meeting with analysts after the earnings report. He said Pfizer will need several more months of data to better evaluate the trends.
"Our belief is that we will see a recovery" in the fourth quarter, said McKinnell, adding that "I share your disappointment" at the decline in third-quarter revenue. McKinnell said Pfizer had endured the "greatest magnitude" of patent expirations in the shortest time in the history of the drug industry.
Pfizer will continue to be affected by patent expirations on major drugs into 2007, even if Lipitor survives a U.S. patent challenge. McKinnell reaffirmed his belief that a U.S. court would
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV