Missing the Boat on India
This column was originally published on RealMoney on Oct. 19 at 8:49 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
Could there be anything more predictable than financial pundits touting that India is the place to invest?
Naturally, that market has done very nicely this year, and with a 20% gain it's far outpacing the lackluster S&P.
Yet, although I'm all in favor of momentum investing, the chart below shows that new buyers may be a bit late to the party.Using a chart of The India Fund (IFN) to represent the Indian market, you can see that the stock did nothing for a long time. Only in the past four months did it make its move, but that move might already be over. My reasoning? High-volume down days, or in this case weeks, are often a prelude to a selloff, or at least a lengthy move sideways. That's been the case for the past two years, and what's happened recently? Some high-volume down weeks. That should tell you to let the pundits keep touting The India Fund, but for you personally to stay away for now. At a minimum, at least let the stock make a new high before wading in. Today, charts for the Dow, Halliburton (HAL), ConocoPhillips (COP), Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE), Network Appliance (NTAP) and Lam Research (LRCX).
Charts produced by TC2000, which is a registered trademark of Worden Brothers Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV