How to Read and Play Volatility Signals
The markets are getting more volatile these days, or at least that's what the talking heads are telling us.
Volatility readings can help traders understand market cycles and improve price prediction. I use three technical tools to gauge current volatility and predict its expansion or contraction. These measurements often trigger immediate opportunities, but they can also yield data that don't require an instant response.
Markets alternate continuously between bursts of intense activity and periods of relative calm. We watch this pulse as prices step up or down to a new level, test a new trading range and then break toward another level. As one phase nears its end, the chart often prints a small-scale pattern that signals an impending rally or selloff.
The volatility cycle offers an important piece of trading wisdom: Price movement is easier to predict over time than price direction. This may sound vague, but in essence, volatility signals tell us to pay close attention because something important is about to happen.Volatility removes direction from chart analysis. It stretches price change over time so relative travel is laid out end to end. Simply stated, the greater the relative distance over time, the more volatile that market is. But these dynamics have little value if we can't find a way to trade them. Fortunately, volatility has another characteristic that makes it an excellent trading tool: It tends to move in cyclical patterns. Many folks think the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) is the only way to understand this characteristic of price action. Indeed, the indicator helps traders read broad market sentiment and its impact on the ticker. As I wrote last week, it's also a valuable tool for
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV