Dykstra: The Wheat and the Chaff
And then there were four.
The baseball postseason has progressed from the eight-team division championship to the four-team league championship series in the past week. Arguably, the better team won each of the first round series: the Boston Red Sox were revealed as too one-dimensional, the New York Yankees as lacking clutch hitting, while the Atlanta Braves revived their annual role as bridesmaid. As for the San Diego Padres, they proved they really didn't belong in the postseason, as reflected by their lackluster regular-season record.
As baseball moves toward its climax, the stock market has been having some "climactic" action of its own. Hopefully, the recent selling pressure is paving the way for a sustainable rally, possibly starting with Thursday's advance by the Nasdaq Composite. (Major averages were modestly higher midday Friday.)
And just as baseball's postseason separates the contenders from the pretenders, that is the goal of this column, and brings us to today's picks.
Franchise PlayersI picked up some Bank of America (BAC) on Thursday at $41.55. Again, to be a "winning trader," you must go against the grain, and while everyone has been selling the last few days, I have been buying as much stock as possible. As with most other financial stocks, Bank of America's stock has been hit recently by fears of more Federal Reserve rate hikes. This selling has created a tremendous opportunity to own shares in this great franchise. Bank of America trades with a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 9.55 and has a return on equity of nearly 17%, meeting one of the key criteria for stock selection that I laid out in my
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV