Mary Meeker: A Love Letter to Net Queen
Mary Meeker, once called "the Queen of the Net," has gotten a bad rap for her bullishness on the sector earlier this decade. But it's time to set the record straight, commend her for her prescient work on the Internet sector and look at what she likes now.
For those who don't recall, or have blocked it out, Meeker was part of the triumvirate of superstar analysts in the late 1990s who rode the boom in the Internet all the way up and all the way down. The other two analysts were Henry "Let's put lipstick on this pig" Blodget and Jack "WorldCom" Grubman. Those two have been discredited and are out of the business.
Meeker, however, has survived, in large part because she saw the potential of the Internet from the beginning. And now, 12 years after her initial recommendation of AOL, when it was a split-adjusted 50 cents and had only 300,000 subscribers, it's pretty clear she has been right, and that the Internet's potential has arrived.
Many of the companies that Meeker recommended through the 1990s have continued to have remarkable success. Her comment from the 1990s when she was picking those stocks: "Go with the leaders. Remember Microsoft vs. Lotus; Cisco vs. Wellfleet; Dell and Compaq vs. Everex." Obviously, she was dead-on about these companies' viability, and she was right about the future of the Internet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV