Energy's Pullback Could Be Opportunity
With crude and natural gas prices finally pulling back, many energy stocks have tumbled 10% or more over the last four days. That has spooked energy investors.
The scare is fair. Since oil has been the go-to sector for most of the year, maybe investors became complacent. Fast money, opportunistic investors and stupid money all found their way into the sector in the third quarter -- and it's probably no coincidence that the tumble began right after the quarter ended.
There's nothing like a 15% pullback to cause a gut-check among investors and move the fast money back to the sidelines. However, while there may be a lot of volatility in the coming days, there may also be a lot of opportunity.
What Hasn't ChangedCommodity prices are likely to moderate, and that creates some challenges for the stocks. However, as I wrote earlier in the week, there are plenty of opportunities in a $50 oil environment. In the last week, all that has really changed are stock prices. The fundamental arguments remain the same. Consider the following:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV