Inflation Bonds Tip the Scale
Here's a tip: Don't expect TIPS funds to take flight just because inflation is finally showing up in the official data.
A pair of reports last week from the Institute for Supply Management may have shown contrasting results -- the services index plummeted in September, while manufacturing rose -- but they did share rapidly rising inflation gauges.
In the manufacturing survey, the prices paid index surged from 62.5 in August to 78 in September. In the service sector index, the prices paid index jumped from 67.1 to 81.4, which was the index's highest reading since it was created in 1997.
The idea that inflation is rearing its ugly head is hardly a shocker. Americans have spent the year steadily watching their purchasing power erode in every place except Wal-Mart (WMT), where most of the goods arrive on fast boats from China.What they have not seen, however, is a marked step-up of inflation in the official data -- a conundrum that may rank second only to Fed chief Alan Greenspan's mystery of the flattening yield curve. That riddle could very well be solved as early as Friday, when the September consumer price index is released. Economists are expecting a dramatic increase to 0.9%, up from 0.5% growth in August. Some are predicting even bigger jumps down the road as higher energy prices are finally pushed onto the consumer. "We have seen the CPI creep up lately, but over the next few months it is poised to really take off," says John Silvia, chief economist at Wachovia, who adds that that the big gains in the CPI will be presaged by spikes in the producer price index. Under these circumstances, it would seem like Treasury Inflation Protected Securities, or TIPS, funds would emerge as the perfect investment. They are designed to protect investors from the erosion of purchasing power that rising inflation can cause.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV