SEC Looking at Hedge Funds in Stock Placements
An attorney who represents several hedge funds contacted by regulators says the SEC is "looking at bringing a series of enforcement actions involving big PIPEs players." The attorney, who didn't want to be identified, says none of his hedge fund clients has received a Wells Notice from the SEC.
A regulatory source who also did not want to be identified says the "SEC is very interested in this area." The source said he "expects some more cases" in the near future.
One notable hedge fund that has drawn scrutiny from regulators over the past several months is HBK Investments, a big $7 billion Dallas-based hedge fund, sources say. The multistrategy fund is perennially one of the biggest investors in PIPEs. During the first six months of this year, HBK sank $53 million into six different transactions.
One particular PIPE deal involving HBK that regulators have looked into is a $3.4 million financing transaction for Plano, Texas outsourcing firm PFSweb (PFSW), say people familiar with the deal. HBK was the largest investor in the 2003 financing.Jon Mosle, HBK's general counsel, declined to comment, noting the hedge fund has a policy of not talking to the press. PFSweb CFO Thomas Madden also declined to comment. To date, most of what is publicly known about the investigation has revolved around a 4-year-old PIPE deal for Compudyne (CDCY), a small security services firm. In May, the SEC and the NASD
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV