Arden Realty May Be Next REIT For Buyout
Both the rumor mill and heavy stock trading point to the possibility that Arden Realty (ARI), one of Southern California's largest office owners, may become the next real estate investment trust to go private.
The rumor was first published by Barry Vinocur, a veteran REIT industry watcher, in his REIT Newshound note late Thursday.
Vinocur cited an unnamed source who said an announcement is reportedly imminent on a deal that would take Los Angeles-based Arden private. The deal would involve a breakup privatizing Arden, with one or two public REITs also taking pieces of the company, he wrote.
After barely moving for the past month, Arden shares rose 4.5% Thursday to $40.40, with heavy trading volume.It isn't the first time that Arden has been the subject of buyout speculation. "Management has always indicated there is a price at which to sell," one major institutional investor in the company told TheStreet.com. Arden didn't return a call seeking comment. Industry watchers expect more REITs might go private since share prices in the sector have taken a beating recently on interest rate fears. This year, Capital Automotive (CARS), Gables Residential (GBP), and CRT Properties (CRO) all approved plans to go private and investors were rewarded with premiums that ranged from 9% to 15%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV