Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Cheap Eats
Cramer also likes NL because only two analysts cover the stock, and they both "hate it," he said. The analysts' opinions are bound to change, he said, once price increases go through thus rendering the analysts' earnings estimates too low. Additionally, Cramer wouldn't be surprised to see new analysts covering the stock.
Finally, a number of insiders have recently purchased shares.
Cramer feels it is safe to "pull the trigger" on NL even though the stock was up more than 11% Friday, ending the regular trading session at $16.02.
A caller asked about other chemical plays. Cramer said he considered recommending NOVA Chemicals (NCX), but it is "not that good a company." Furthermore, the chemical business overall is not a good business right now because its "feed stock," oil, keeps getting more expensive.Cramer also mentioned Titanium Metals (TIE) as a possible play on the titanium dioxide shortage but cautioned that like NL Industries, Titanium Metals' stock is "tough to buy" because of the low volume it trades daily.
Riding a BuybackBuy Goldman Sachs (GS) and let its buyback lift the stock for you, said Cramer. Goldman Sachs "knows how to buy back stock," said Cramer. The company bought back stock last quarter, and the stock is now trading 12% higher than it was during the buyback, he said. Goldman just announced another buyback this week, and Cramer expects similar results. Lockheed Martin (LMT), on the other hand, also announced a buyback this week. But, Cramer said Lockheed's track record isn't so rosy. Last quarter, Lockheed bought back stock, and the stock is now trading about 5% lower, he said. The bottom line, said Cramer, is not all buybacks are created equal. Goldman Sachs knows how to do a buyback. Lockheed Martin "accomplished nothing" with its last buyback and will probably fail again, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV