Inamed Gains FDA Nod
The Food and Drug Administration has overruled an advisory committee by granting conditional approval to Inamed (IMDC) to sell silicone gel breast implants for cosmetic surgery.
If the agency ultimately approves the Inamed product, the Santa Barbara, Calif.-based company will join Mentor (MNT), its next-door neighbor and rival, in selling these implants.
U.S. sales of silicone gel implants have been restricted since 1992 to a few uses, such as for women undergoing breast reconstruction after mastectomies and women whose silicone gel implants had ruptured. The restrictions reflect tougher FDA requirements that manufacturers provide long-term safety data to support applications for their devices.The FDA's announcement on Wednesday sent Inamed's stock rising $5.96, or 8.4%, to $77.02, a new 52-week high. In the first two hours of trading, more than 3.44 million shares were traded, or nine times the average daily trade for the last three months. Mentor's stock fell $2.38, or 4.5%, to $50.18 in heavy trading. The FDA offered no details about the conditions or timetable for approving Inamed's implant. "The conditions outlined in this letter are generally in line with our expectations and the discussions that took place at
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV