Mad Money Mailbag: Careful With Modular Homes
Editor's Note: The following are questions received from viewers of "Mad Money," seen every day at 6 p.m. EDT on CNBC.
With the crisis following the hurricane, modular homes seem like a solid investment. With that in mind, is Coachmen Industries (COA) a good investment?
-- Brian from New YorkJames J. Cramer: I believe you have a viable idea. But note that Coachmen and many of its peers derive the majority of their revenue from recreational vehicles. Because of that, I believe Coachmen will be more affected by the negative of astronomical gas prices than the positive of a sudden demand for its housing products.
My wife has about 80% of her portfolio in IBM (IBM). Should we hold it or sell it? -- John from Texas James J. Cramer: Whether I like IBM or not, I believe you need to sell at least half of your holdings as soon as it makes sense for you to do so. One of my basic rules for diversification is that no one stock should count for more than 25% of your portfolio at any given time. It does so happen that I do like IBM's prospects over the coming quarters, along with the technology sector. Even so, investors are taking an unnecessary risk by placing all of their chickens in one basket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV