Low-Cost Tech Stocks: Options on Survival
When you look to buy a tech stock trading between $1 and $3, you have to be clear that you're buying shares in a potential bankruptcy. Stocks in this category are option plays on survival, and you should buy them only if you can afford to lose 100% of your money, as stocks become worthless at bankruptcy.
Keep in mind that if you buy a stock option, that option expires worthless at its expiration date. In the case of buying a stock trading under three bucks, there is no expiration date, but it is worthless on bankruptcy, so the price you pay is the premium.
My fundamental model shows that technology is now 14.4% undervalued, with health care the only other undervalued sector at 4.2%. All other sectors are overvalued, with energy 9.7% overvalued after getting the most investor attention for much of 2005.
This is an environment where some speculation on low-priced technology stocks should be considered, and I highlight three potential survivors below.Demand for upgrades in broadband and related Internet protocol applications should help Lucent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV