The Tao of Yahoo!
Hongyi, who once he joined Yahoo! vowed that his mission was to kick Google's butt in China, denied rumors earlier this year that he planned to resign to spend more time with his family. Last month, however, he did announce he would step down on Aug. 31. Yang, who applauded Hongyi's contribution to Yahoo! China, said the purchase of Alibaba had nothing to do with his resignation.
Yahoo's seemingly capricious entry into China follows its mixed success in Japan. Yahoo! Japan displaced eBay as the premier online-auction site in Japan, but that joint venture has long been majority owned by Japanese venture capital firm Softbank.
Softbank held a significant but undisclosed stake in Alibaba, but Yang said that stake would be smaller than Yahoo!'s after its $1 billion investment in the company.
"We'll be the largest shareholder and Softbank will be a significant shareholder," Yang said. "Yahoo! will be the biggest shareholder, and Yahoo! and Alibaba will work with each other, but this is a company built and led by Mr. Ma."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV