Apprenticed Investor: Six Keys to Stock Selection
This suggests that even the best stock in a lousy sector will do poorly when that sector is out of favor. At the same time, any old company in a hot sector will do well.
For example, personal computers went nowhere after all of the Y2K upgrades were completed. Indeed, even Dell (DELL) has been range-bound for the past three years. The same goes for the networking stocks -- what company is better than Cisco (CSCO)?
On the other hand, you could have thrown a dart at oil companies such as BP (BP), ConocoPhillips (COP) and Exxon Mobil (XOM) or homebuilders, including Toll Brothers (TOL) and Pulte (PHM), and they have been screamers in the past year.
Checking out the sector also gives you an idea of who the competitors are.The same advice about individual charts also applies to sectors -- watch those sectors near the bottom of the performance rankings for signs of an impending turnaround. Only buy stocks in good sectors.
What's Your Thesis?Why buy this particular stock, in this sector, and why now? That may sound like an obvious question, but it's often overlooked. You should have a specific reason to buy something, one that you can articulate in a sentence or two. It can be something fundamental, i.e., fiber to the premises. Have you found an overlooked value, do you have some insight into a new product, do you believe the new management can turn the ship around? All that is part of your investment thesis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV