Naked Shorts' Long Shelf Life
What if they passed a law and no one followed it?
Not one of those bizarre, outdated laws you hear about -- like in Maine, where people are required to bring shotguns to church -- but a brand new law with an entirely sensible goal, like keeping people from selling equities that don't exist.
Since January, Regulation SHO has required self-regulatory organizations like the NYSE or the NASD to keep a "threshold list" of securities that have a sizable failure-to-deliver position. That is, they must disclose daily the stocks that someone sold without either owning them or borrowing them.
Selling stocks that nobody owns, called naked short-selling, isn't necessarily illegal. Broker-dealers may sell imaginary shares to maintain liquidity in a stock that sees a sudden surge in demand. So the Securities and Exchange Commission gives broker-dealers a 13-day grace period before they are required to close out those naked-short positions. After 13 days, it's safer to assume there must be at least some abusive shorting going on.Last month, TheStreet.com
|Overstaying Their Welcome?
It's not just micro-caps that languish on NASD's threshold list
|Ticker||Name||Days on List||Market Cap (millions)||Short Ratio||Shares Short as % of Float*|
|9||IIJI||INTERNET INITIATIVE JAPAN||39||$777||0.2||N/A|
|Source: buyins.net, yahoo finance
*as of 7/12/05.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV