Bear Stearns Shakes the CDO Honey Pot
The Trainer Worthman CDO really was five securities, or tranches, rolled into one. Each piece of the CDO was reviewed by Moody's Investors Service and received varying degrees of investment grade ratings. This May, Moody's downgraded three tranches of the CDO with a combined value of $41 million. One tranche valued at $7.6 million was lowered to junk bond status.
The other two CDOs that Spitzer requested information on are Aspen Funding I and Madison Avenue Manufactured Housing Contract Trust 20002. The Madison Avenue deal involved mortgages on mobile homes that were originally issued by GreenPoint Financial and later sold to Bear Stearns' EMC Mortgage subsidiary.
Both the Aspen Funding and Madison Avenue deals were rated by either Moody's and S&P back in 2002. The rating agencies have since downgraded all or portions of both CDOs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV