Bear Stalking Biotech Sector
Amgen reported earnings that were 16 cents ahead of estimates, thanks to strong sales across several drug franchises, including Aranesp, Neulasta, Neupogen and Enbrel. Genentech topped estimates by 4 cents with the help of better-than-expected sales of Avastin and Herceptin. Genzyme also turned in a profit that was 4 cents better than estimates, thanks to gross margin improvements.
Schoenebaum views Amgen's ongoing pipeline positively, pointing to the experimental postmenopausal osteoporosis drug AMG-162 as an important drug in development. Additionally, he sees Genentech reporting solid second-half profits, buoyed by Avastin and Herceptin, despite possible manufacturing constraints.
Although he admits he doesn't love Genzyme, Schoenebaum sees an upside once 2006 arrives -- that's when the Medicare prescription drug program is expected to cover the kidney disease drug Renagel, and the analyst says the coverage isn't fully considered in to the company's sales projections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV