Research In Motion Gets Patent Reprieve
"We get the right to shut them down," Wallace said.
Indeed, the district court that initially ruled against RIM granted an injunction against the company, but put it on hold, pending the appeal. The appeals court has now overturned that injunction, awaiting the outcome at the district court.
Wallace declined to say if the companies have resumed their settlement talks.
The long-running patent case has been a persistent thorn in RIM's side. Although the wireless email service and device provider has been expanding rapidly in Europe and Asia, the lion's share of its revenue comes from the U.S., meaning that any injunction against it as a result of the NTP matter could prove a major blow.The court's decision to throw out the business method claims had to do with the fact that part of the BlackBerry service operates via a relay based in Canada. U.S. patents cover only methods that are employed within the U.S., the court ruled.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV